The second major of the season, the PGA Championship, will tee off today at the par 72 Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, South Carolina as the world’s elite golfers battle for the Kshs 1.1 billion prize money.
Defending champion Collin Morikawa will be up against a star-studded field featuring 99 of the world’s top 100 players. 10,000 fans are expected daily at the 103rd PGA championship, one of the four majors alongside The Masters, the U.S. Open and the Open Championship.
The field for the PGA Championship is regarded as the strongest in professional golf as it brings together past PGA champions, recent major winners, top finishers in the 2020 PGA Championship, Ryder Cup players, leading money winners on the PGA Tour and all the top 100 players in the world rankings.
Here are some interesting stats to look out for over the next four days:
- Close to 20 players who played at the Magical Kenya Open 2021 and The Savannah Classic will be in action at the PGA Championship 2021. These include Savannah Classic champion Daniel Van Tonder and runner up Jazz Janewattananond who will be joined by Aaron Rai, Sam Horsfield and Kurt Kitayama among others.
- A record 11 South Africans, all members of the Sunshine Tour, will be in action at Kiawah Island. Three of them Van Tonder, George Coetzee and Garrick Higgo played at Magical Kenya Open where Van Tonder failed to make the cut while his two compatriots finished T16.
- Morikawa will be seeking to become just the third player in the modern era of golf to win back-to-back PGA Championships after Tiger Woods (1999 & 2000 and 2006 & 2007) and Brooks Koepka (2018 & 2019). Denny Shute was the first player to achieve the feat in 1936 and 1937.
- Jordan Spieth will become just the sixth player in history to complete the career Grand Slam if he wins the PGA championship 2021. Jordan Spieth’s name is back on the pundits’ lips following his fine form this year. Earlier this year, he won the Texas Open, ending a PGA tour drought that stretched back to 2017 and followed it with a decent third place finish at The Masters. Only five players, Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have clinched all the four Majors.
- The Ocean Course will measure a whopping 7,876 yards, making it the longest course to ever host one of professional golf’s four majors. It has been at times ranked as the most challenging in America due to its links style. It features elevated greens averaging 6,000 square feet with Paspalum grass from tee thru green. It has 30 acres of sandy areas running along, behind and in front of most holes. The rough is Bermuda but will be over-seeded with ryegrass (up to three inches) to thicken and green it up.
- The winner of the PGA Championship will take home $1.98 million plus 600 FedExCup points and a five year exemption on TOUR. This means the reigning champion of the competition is automatically invited to play in the other three majors for the next five years, and is exempt from qualifying for the PGA Championship for life. He will also receive the Wanamaker Trophy, which the champion keeps until the following year’s competition.
Visit www.dstv.com to subscribe or upgrade, and join in on the excitement. And while you’re on the move, you can stream matches on the DStv App.
PGA Championship DStv broadcast details
All times CAT
Thursday 20 May
19:00: Day 1 – LIVE on SuperSport Golf
Friday 21 May
19:00: Day 2 – LIVE on SuperSport Golf
Saturday 22 May
16:00: Day 3 – LIVE on SuperSport Golf
Sunday 23 May
16:00: Day 4 – LIVE on SuperSport Golf